Ornate Dark Chocolate with Raspberries

The amount of adjectives accompanying my raspberry dark chocolate bar is astounding. Organic, fair traded, sustainably sourced, supports the protection of endangered species, non-GMO, and a few other engaging descriptions. I'm glad I left the wrapper downstairs to limit my eating to a fraction of the perfectly-made thing, and limit my thinking as to how righteous I am to buy such a perfectly-cultivated strip of decadence. As the three squares rest along my wine glass, I grab the computer and hear my dear little David.  Okay, this will have to wait, he is sick and I need to tend to him. 

The illusion and delusion that I am doing something perfectly or righteously gets me every time. I know a bit of scripture and a bit of doctrine, a bit of common sense and a bit of wisdom, and am content to pray within my days and moments to learn more in due time. I'm deceived into seeing perfection by looking at wrappers and descriptions, status posts and pins, and usually fascinated with the ability to scroll on, and on, and on. 

I really like having all of this information at my thumb-tips but try to limit it at the same time because I become disengaged from the people around me once I get really sucked in.  My own mother asked me a question three times, and I was so engrossed in an unrelated status update from a group on Facebook, that I ignored her! Ugh! How could I be so engrossed in a little piece of technology showing me what perfect strangers are up to and ignore my own mother?

And yet, I continue.  My eyes glue to the screens, wanting more and fascinated with more icons and pics and wonderful ideas.  Inspirational writings from really great people right within my access.  I could not possibly be lonely with all this information.  How could I possibly be less than perfect with all of this information?

Naomi asked at breakfast the other day, in a rather upset voice, "Why does the sun keep moving!?"  Breakfast was taking so long, that the beams of sun followed her a quarter ways around the table, and the sun was in her eyes, so she kept moving around the table. "Maybe the sun keeps moving because the world revolves around it, and it doesn't revolve around you," I replied. Just the words I needed for myself.  Maybe I'm less than perfect because the world does not revolve around me. Aha!

As we press on with excellence, "Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you." Prov 4:25 Let's glance to the left and right and glean encouragement and inspiration, but press on looking directly forward.  Ideally, "looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2

Kids get sick and we have to put off the wine and fine chocolate.  And although our wrappers are screaming perfection, within the imperfect execution of our tending to our families, our faith is being authored and perfected.  I'm glad the sun keeps moving under His jurisdiction. 

Must be part of His perfect plan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who We Are Waiting For: The Rescuer

Who We are Waiting For: The Refuge

Who We are Waiting For: The Shepherd