Friday, February 25, 2011

Salt and Grease in Disguise

On Valentine's Day we went to a trendy Chinese chain restaurant. All four of us had a great time. As we chowed on mongolian beef and "Nu-nus" as Naomi calls Noodles, we were raving about how good it was. We just couldn't get enough. There was a little fried rice and nu-nus left for lunch the next day, so we boxed it up, ate our fortune cookies, and headed home. We walked into the kitchen and Mike said, "You know, for as tasty and good as that was, it's really just a bunch of salt and grease in disguise as trendy chinese food." This is as we both were incredibly thirsty, guzzling down water before turning in for the night.

Hmm. Salt and grease in disguise. There are so many disguises going through my mind, good disguised as bad, bad disguised as good, and lots of in between. This is prompting me to think about Matthew 10:16, "Be wise as serpents—and harmless as doves."

My "harmlessness" probably comes across as a dumb blonde at many times. I feel like I have this gift of looking completely inept and aloof, but yet I am very observant and can recall details and replay them to myself (and Mike) in detail, and then replay in more detail. I'm not sure this is the "harmlessness" that Jesus is talking about, or a gift for that matter. It often becomes detrimental as it tempts me to embrace anxiety and fear.

Now that "wisdom" aspect of the verse, I have to chalk that up to the one and only God. "For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding; he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints (Christians)." Prov 2:6-8

We had several unexpected changes in events this week. Mike and I prayed before he left for work yesterday that "we would plan our day but the Lord would determine our steps." This I felt gave the perfect amount of accountability for me to actually plan things and reminded me to be totally fine if things did not turn out as planned. I have to trust that it is the Lord's will, better than I could have designed in the first place.

So, I am personally far from harmless, but hope to be. I am leaning on wisdom that is not my own, which I guess is a good first step. Then I am just reflecting and grateful at all the work God is doing. Shielding, guarding, watching, giving, determining, and storing up. He has SURELY shielded, guarded, watched, gave, and determined our family's path this week. I am humbled when I attempt to understand why.

Take a good look at that delicious chinese. Yum. At least Scripture is not in disguise when the understanding is orchestrated by the living God.

So have no fear of them, for nothing is covered that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. What I tell you in the dark, say in the light, and what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops. And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:26-31

No comments:

Post a Comment