I Read a Book

We have a book called "The Care Bears and the Terrible Twos" that I grew up with. It happens to be one of Naomi's favorite books, and I vividly remember reading it to her in the beginning of November 2010. I intentionally skipped words and pages, because although reading 2 complete stories is part of her bedtime routine, my voice was starting to shake and my tongue was slurring words together when I read out loud. Throughout November, I intentionally skipped pages and read less and less, until it came to around Thanksgiving, where I knew I would scare her if I read any books for her bedtime. I remember her helplessly turning to me, saying, "Mommy, why's your voice sounding like that for?"

The past few months have progressed into her learning that I wasn't the one to read her books. Daddy took over her bedtime routines, and read her all her books, and the very seldom nights where I would need to read to her, she would look at the pictures, and I would ask her questions. We would laugh about funny things that happened in the books she already had memorized, and called it a night. It was even more sad when I tried to sing to her. We have a routine . . . 2 books, 2 songs, prayers then bed.

Well, let's not get all Grumpy bear on the situation, because yesterday, I did not skip one word in that Care Bear book. I read right through from Melinda getting syrup in her hair to her enjoying her party with her twin brother and sister after imagining running away to the circus and grandmas. It was a true milestone for me. I'm so grateful.

We're continuing right through reading a Psalm a day, and they hold lots of refreshment. There are some great triumphs in the Psalms. Surely He will do these things for you, in whatever trials you are facing, even if it is not a quantitative victory like reading a book. :)

You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!
Psalm 30: 11-12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who We Are Waiting For: The Rescuer

Who We are Waiting For: The Refuge

Who We are Waiting For: The Shepherd