Who We are Waiting For: The Refuge




Ambush.  Dread.  They’re coming.
Are you waiting for the refuge?
Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint; preserve my life from dread of the enemy. Psalm 64:1
My prayers are usually: preserve me, preserve my family, preserve my friends.
It is a rare occasion that I pray: preserve me from dread.
Preserve me from the enemy?
Preserve me from dread of the enemy finding me. 
Preserve me from my to-do list?
Preserve me from dreading my to-do list.
Preserve me through my upcoming surgery?
Preserve me from dreading my upcoming surgery.
Preserve me from failing this exam.
Preserve me from dreading failing this exam.
So often our minds and emotions can be led by dread,  and it is exciting to know that the Lord is able to preserve us from dreading something.  He is able to preserve us from fear.
Hide me from the secret plots of the wicked, from the throng of evildoers,  who whet their tongues like swords, who aim bitter words like arrows,  shooting from ambush at the blameless, shooting at him suddenly and without fear.  Psalm 64: 2-4
This is happening around the world. It must have been throughout the history of the world. We are pretty aware of it now with some global and much, much, manipulated, national media so to be rescued from dread is consistently an apt prayer.

whowearewaitingfortherefugeday2pic2










Who would do such horrible things?
They hold fast to their evil purpose; they talk of laying snares secretly, thinking, “Who can see them?”  They search out injustice, saying, “We have accomplished a diligent search.” For the inward mind and heart of a man are deep.
But God shoots his arrow at them; they are wounded suddenly.  They are brought to ruin, with their own tongues turned against them; all who see them will wag their heads. Then all mankind fears; they tell what God has brought about and ponder what he has done. Psalm 64:5-9
We could never know the depths of man’s heart.  But God knows and can turn anyone’s heart towards Him.
Lord, as you snatched up the apostle Paul, a major persecutor of your people, snatch up hearts who do not like justice, who are unmerciful, and forgive them.  Fix their eyes of  Jesus, their refuge. Teach them in the depths of their heart to love justice.
Can God possibly do this?  Yes. He can.
He is able to be a refuge not only to you, and me, but to every heart of every member of evil. 
Let the righteous one rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in him! Let all the upright in heart exult! Psalm 64:10

A song that will serve you well is I Have a Shelter from Sovereign Grace Music.  The song articulates the place of refuge very well.

Let’s sharpen each other to these truths.

Take Refuge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who We Are Waiting For: The Rescuer

Who We are Waiting For: The Shepherd