A Bit of Saturated Earth

Our soil is saturated. We have had many days of rain and then we had a hurricane . . . and then it continued to rain this past week. As I ran the last few bottles out to our recycling curb Friday morning, I noticed the overgrown weeds trying to choke our pole bean plants and scallions, and how everything, including the soil, was soaked. Realizing that one child was having a nap and the other was busy with crafting, I took a few minutes to start rescuing my scallions and beans. I was pretty impressed with how quickly and easily the weeds pulled out of the saturated ground. Just a few tugs and pulls and I had a pile of dead weeds and a clean looking garden in minutes. Except for this tree-like vine. Hmm..that wouldn't come out so easily.

Those weedy roots hold on so dearly to their soil when the ground is under-saturated. They must get a little foothold, and continue to grow, plowing through the soil to the next spot they can get a foothold. I usually dislike pulling the weeds, never sure if the whole root is going to dig up, or if just the leafy part would snap off and leave its bottom half and I would find myself digging my fingers into the dirt to get at the stubborn root. With these weeds only getting their footholds onto water and more water, they didn't have a root to stand on.

How my life is like this earth and how I need to have a heart saturated with living water, so when pesky weeds try to grow in my life, they pull up like a dream. When my mind is saturated with the promises and praises of the Lord, I have no problem letting go of things - comments, inadequacies, mistakes, ruminating thoughts, illness. When the meditations of my heart hold the truths of Gospel, there is no leg that my problems can stand on, because they are standing on the living water, which doesn't allow them to get a foothold, or what I would call a root-hold.

It is not that I would desire to flaunt a heart flooded with Scripture or praises for the Creator, quite the contrary. I'll have you know that I have a pretty under-saturated heart, and then when the going-gets-going, I realize something is just not right. It either leads to being over emotional, quick to anger, dwelling on unnecessary events or information, and mentally bogging over what I could possibly be upset about.

I would like to encourage you how freeing it is to be within boundaries, limiting my own mind, with boundaries set by the Word of God. Even just taking a minute to read the Word will saturate your heart, and God will meet you at your specific weed, and give you a flooded ground to clean up your garden.

[7] The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul;
the testimony of the LORD is sure,
making wise the simple;
[8] the precepts of the LORD are right,
rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the LORD is pure,
enlightening the eyes;
[9] the fear of the LORD is clean,
enduring forever;
the rules of the LORD are true,
and righteous altogether.
[10] More to be desired are they than gold,
even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
and drippings of the honeycomb.
[11] Moreover, by them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.
(Psalm 19:7-11 ESV)

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39 ESV

=

With a heart saturated with truths like this, those weeds will pull up before they get growing.

Comments

  1. Hi Jo,
    Hope all is well. How is everything going with your MG? Mine has been awesome. Still raising support to go into full-time missions - God is faithful! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who We Are Waiting For: The Rescuer

Who We are Waiting For: The Refuge

Who We are Waiting For: The Shepherd