A Great Surgeon

Have you witnessed from above the clouds, the perfectly organically shaped river carving through the earth? The valleys and streams, so well marked and painted, towering below you, and puffy lightness dressed in pure white, occasionally clouding your view? Chiseled, I would say. The same word a close friend used while staring into our newborn daughters face. Chiseled.

You can't fake greatness. Height and depth of knowledge, unclouded skill. Experience chiseled procedures, down to an art and a science.

Mike and I arrived at the hospital, all ready to go for my Thymectomy. It almost felt like we should be stopping at Dunkin' Donuts for an iced coffee, because it was so nice to be together in the morning, and that's our 'going-on-an-excursion' routine. But I was good and fasted since Midnight. I dozed off slightly in the admission waiting room, and was awake again until I remember a cute little resident guy putting a gas mask on me, telling me it was oxygen and that I would soon feel sleepy, yup. There I went into sleep again.

I don't really know exactly what went on during that nap, but I do totally trust my great surgeon. It was from about 1:30pm until 5:30pm, when I remember Mike talking to me while I was in and out of consciousness, realizing the surgery was over. I find it absolutely amazing that in a little 5 inch incision and the surgeon was able to get my whole thymus gland out, which apparently descended longer than usual. Not that this is a usual anyway. From what I can gather, I was on my back, stretched with my head back, I had a breathing tube, and the surgeon went in behind my sternum and got the enlarged gland.

It was a totally new experience for me. The anticipation was a lot worse than the actual day and event. Actually, my only really bad day of anticipation was the Saturday night and Sunday beforehand. Me and my vivid imagination couldn't fathom someone going inside my body and taking something out. Not to mention in one of the sensitive areas of my body. (I never really liked anyone touching the front of my neck.) I had creepy fears of a slashed throat and that the knife would slip and my head would cut off, and proceed to roll on the floor of the operating room. Then what would they do!? This did not happen. Plus, Mike reassured me that this was ridiculous and would not happen.

This fascinates me. A Thymectomy is such a rare procedure, but my surgeon is an expert. He even uses tools that were designed for him. For me and countless others around me, it was a different and rare procedure, and abnormal day for us. For my surgeon, this was probably a standard "day at the office" with an interesting "case."

As they were rolling me down the hall to the operating room, I caught a glimpse of my surgeon going into the elevator, and the nurse said, "There's your doctor!" You probably would not pick him out of a bunch. The same way you wouldn't peg Isaac Stern as a master violinist or my relative as a navy seal. It is definitely not a God that we see that carves out the rivers and streams and pulls the mountains out of the earth. All work in their expert chiseling.

I am so grateful for their expertise.

Comments

  1. Amen. So glad for great surgeons and doctors. My doctor was a wonderful cardiac surgeon in Philadelphia (where I am from). It is hard for me to believe it has been 17 years since my thymectomy and yet everytime I see the big 5+ inch scar down my chest, I am reminded - lol :P
    God is so faithful and will carry you through the remainder of your recovery and beyond. Know that you will remain in my prayers and I am grateful for the opportunity to be on this journey with you. Looking forward to you sharing more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo ~~It never ceases to amaze me that your blog is so vividly and beautifully written! I felt like I was in the room with you! Thank you for making it so clear in addition to your wonderful parallel to God's carving out of the earth to form our landscape! Love to you always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, I was so glad to hear your surgery went well. It is neat to read about your experience afterward. Still thinking of you and the family and hope you're feeling great without that Thymus of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo, you won the Applecore giveaway at Organize and Decorate Everything. Congratulations. Send me an email with your mailing address so I can get them out to you. Please respond by Thursday morning or I'll have to pick another winner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who We Are Waiting For: The Rescuer

Who We are Waiting For: The Refuge

Who We are Waiting For: The Shepherd